You will need a photo ID and proof of current street address. Cards can also be issued for any age child. Those under age eighteen need a parent or guardian to come to the library to sign the application. Cards must be updated every three years. If a patron does not use his or her library card during that period, the card may be deleted from the system. To register your information online before coming to the library to obtain your card, please use the "Get A Card" link on the library's website. Valid photo ID and proof of address are still required to obtain your library card.
Anyone who lives in Shenandoah County is eligible for a free library card. Library cards are issued for a three-year period and should be renewed at that time. A $3 charge is made for replacing a library card. A valid library card with no overdue materials or fines is required to check out materials. Your library card is good at all libraries in the Shenandoah County Library System.
Your Shenandoah County Library System card entitles you to obtain a library card from the Massanutten Regional Library System, the Handley Regional Library System and Samuels Public Library. Apply at their main libraries or any of their branches. Visit our area libraries page for links to each library system's website.
There are several categories of individuals who are afforded full borrowing privileges without maintaining residence in Shenandoah County:
- Those who own real estate in Shenandoah County.
- Those who are employed in Shenandoah County.
- Those who are residents of Virginia counties geographically contiguous with Shenandoah County (Frederick, Rockingham, Page, Warren) and can provide a valid photo ID and proof of residence.
- Those Virginia residents who pay the $10 non-resident fee for a card that is good for one year from date of issue.
- Those who have made single gifts of $500 or larger to the Shenandoah County Library Foundation. The Library Director issues these cards.
Children age 5-17 may be issued a Student Card with parental signature. These cards are limited to five items for checkout from any location and provide full access to our online resources. Registration forms for Student Cards are available at all locations.
- Virginia residents who pay the $10 non-resident fee for a card that is good for one year from date of issue.
- Out-of-State residents who pay the $10 non-resident fee for a card that is good for six months from the date of issue.
There is a special procedure for obtaining an Institutional Card. One must submit a completed Application for Institution Membership form. Only Licensed Day Care Centers and Adult Living Facilities are eligible. There must be a Responsible Party who has a library card in good standing. Individuals such as teachers or homeschool parents are not eligible for Institutional Cards!